For the Spring 2017 Semester the ReFormed Student Ministry will be going through the major features of what is called “Systematic Theology”. Now before your head starts to spin and it sounds so incredibly academic and boring that you can already see yourself picking at your finger nails, or trying to check your phone slyly, or running head first into a brick wall after we’re done… I GUARANTEE YOU IT WILL NOT BE THIS WAY! I want us to get excited about theology for a few reasons.
Theology Defined: The application of scripture, by persons, to every area of life: John Frame’s Systematic Theology Definition)
- 1. If theology is applying the truth of God’s word to our lives that means God has given us a way to get close to Him!
- YHWH the God of the Bible has designed us to know him in an intimate way. We can know him in an intimate way because Jesus and the Spirit make that way possible
- Theology informs our hearts and minds with the intention to transform and sculpt the way we live!
- Have a God glorifying, Christ honoring, Spirit enriched theology based on what scripture says is to bring about total freedom
- We are to live in God’s world, God’s way, for our good and His glory.
This may blow your mind, everyone is a theologian. Even the most hardcore atheist alive today, she/he is a theologian. We all have thoughts of who God is and how we live in light of that truth. So, we will be exploring what it is that God says about Himself in scripture to hopefully inform our hearts and cause us to live a different way with a holy motivation.
This is a biblical principle, that all of life is worship and there is no neutrality as humans. We are either worshiping and living for God… or we are not.
Exodus 12:23-27 says this, 23 For the Lord will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the Lord will pass over the door and will not allow the destroyer to come in to your houses to smite you. 24 And you shall observe this event as an ordinance for you and your children forever. 25 When you enter the land which the Lord will give you, as He has promised, you shall observe this rite. 26 And when your children say to you, ‘What does this rite mean to you?’ 27 you shall say, ‘It is a Passover sacrifice to the Lord who passed over the houses of the sons of Israel in Egypt when He smote the Egyptians, but spared our homes.’” And the people bowed low and worshiped.
The Lord tells His people to do something, they do it, they are commissioned to teach their children about this for all time, and then… their theology drove them to worship..”And the people bowed low and worshiped.”
Please be praying for us as we endeavor to build our students up with the doctrine of who God is, who we are, who Jesus is, and who the church is this semester!